Film Screening – Award-winning documentary, HOME TRUTH
Hosted in partnership with the Kent County Domestic Violence Community Coordinated Response Team
Monday, October 28, 2019
6 PM – 8 PM
Free and open to the public, but reservations are requested.
“home truth” – noun
1. an indisputable fact or basic truth, especially one whose accuracy may cause discomfort or embarrassment
2. a true but unpleasant fact about oneself, especially as pointed out by another person
The film follows the lives of Jessica Gonzales and her son after the murder/suicide of their family. Over a period of years, it documents their complex and painful journey which ultimately brings them to the U.S. Supreme Court and the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights. Their story becomes a landmark case intended to force governments to acknowledge domestic violence protections as both constitutional and human rights.
Following the film, there will be a short panel discussion with:
- Grand Rapids Police Department – Captain Kristen Rogers
- Kent County Sheriff – Michelle LaJoye-Young
- Wyoming Police Department – Chief Kimberly Koster
- Kent County Prosecutor – Christopher Becker.
Trailer (Note: Some graphic content)