Hosted in partnership with the Kent County Domestic Violence Community Coordinated Response Team
Monday, October 28, 2019
6 PM – 8 PM
Free and open to the public, but reservations are requested.
“home truth” – noun
1. an indisputable fact or basic truth, especially one whose accuracy may cause discomfort or embarrassment
2. a true but unpleasant fact about oneself, especially as pointed out by another person
The film follows the lives of Jessica Gonzales and her son after the murder/suicide of their family. Over a period of years, it documents their complex and painful journey which ultimately brings them to the U.S. Supreme Court and the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights. Their story becomes a landmark case intended to force governments to acknowledge domestic violence protections as both constitutional and human rights.
Following the film, there will be a short panel discussion with:
- Grand Rapids Police Department – Captain Kristen Rogers
- Kent County Sheriff – Michelle LaJoye-Young
- Wyoming Police Department – Chief Kimberly Koster
- Kent County Prosecutor – Christopher Becker.
Trailer (Note: Some graphic content)
Date: November 13, 2019
Since 1977, the YWCA’s annual Tribute Awards have honored more than 250 women representing a distinguished sorority of leaders and trail-blazers. The Tribute luncheon, where honorees receive formal recognition, is one of our community’s most popular and widely-supported celebrations. More information here.
Open Circle Events
Save the date!
Our annual Open Circle luncheon will be held at the JW Marriott on March 11, 2020.
There is no shortage of headlines each day in our local news that are relevant to the YWCA and the services that you support. Quite literally, these stories hit close to home and this year’s Open Circle luncheon reflects that.
Mark your calendars for this special luncheon and be a part of changing lives. More information here.