Policy Analyst

The YWCA West Central Michigan – an organization committed to empowering women, promoting diversity, and advocating for justice and equality – is looking for a full time Policy Analyst to join our Prevention and Empowerment Services (PAE) Department.

The effort to end the crisis of domestic abuse and sexual violence is complex. Consequently, the YWCA’s approach is multi-faceted; including an array of intersectional prevention and intervention services, as well as active participation in local, regional, and statewide collaborations.

Position Summary

PAE is working to build capacity for our work in public policy at the local and state levels. Because of this, the Policy Analyst will spend approximately 40% of their/her/his time in policy analysis and advocacy work for the first two years of employment. The remaining 60% of their/her/his time will be spent supporting community-level sexual violence prevention. After the first two years, the position will begin transitioning to 100% policy analysis and advocacy.

This position reports to the Program Director of PAE and will work closely with the Director to increase the YWCA’s capacity for involvement in public policy advocacy for racial justice, sexual violence, and domestic abuse.

Responsibilities in Policy Analysis/Advocacy

  • Serves as primary contact and policy developer for consultations with schools, companies, and other organizations regarding the creation of harassment-focused policies.
  • While monitoring legislative/policy development, participates in relevant coalitions, community events, and meetings with policymakers.

Responsibilities in Sexual Violence Prevention

  • Plans age/gender/culturally/evidence based activities focusing on the reduction of perpetration and/or victimization of interpersonal violence.
  • Prepares and facilitates educational events, activities, and trainings regarding sexual violence prevention.


  • Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, Political Science or a related field required, graduate degree preferred.
  • Experience in public policy development, advocacy, and/or implementation related to racial justice, domestic abuse, and/or sexual violence.
  • Experience in designing and/or evaluating organizational policy – specific to topics surrounding harassment.
  • Superb writing and editing skills.
  • Experience speaking and working with a diverse array of individuals and groups.
  • Ability to enter/retrieve data using computer systems, applications, and other office equipment.
  • Capacity to function both independently and as part of a team.
  • Has access to and willingness to use personal transportation for business purposes, with compensation as allowed per policy.

Other Information

  • This is a full time, hourly position with compensation starting at $16.00+, dependent on experience.
  • Position is eligible for full benefits: medical, dental, and life insurance; paid vacation, and paid sick leave.
  • The YWCA seeks to reflect the diverse community it serves, and be a welcoming, inclusive space for all. Applicants from diverse experiences, backgrounds, and identities are encouraged to apply.

 Next Steps

If you are interested in applying for the position, please submit the following documents by 5:00 pm, August 23, 2019:

  • Resume
  • A 1-page policy brief on a local or state level public policy that was introduced within the last year.


Hannah Nelson