Girls get the message early on that victimization is the inevitable consequence of growing up female. And unfortunately, this perception is all too often true. The YWCA is working to counter this.
Girls Inc.® at the YWCA West Central Michigan offers programs designed to build girls' self-esteem and confidence, help them set boundaries, and develop healthy relationships with adults – all key elements to building healthy young women. Utilizing the nationally-regarded Girls Inc.® curriculum, specific topics include:
- Self-defense and violence prevention
- Dating Violence Prevention
- Preventing adolescent pregnancy
- Increasing skills and self-confidence in science, math, technology and related careers
- Media and economic literary
- Increasing skills to resist pressure to use harmful drugs
- Leadership development
Girls Inc.® programs are offered for girls 6-18 years old during fall and winter academic semesters on a rotating basis. Similar programming is offered after-school and during the summer. You may contact Girls Inc. ® by calling (616) 426-3724 or emailing email@example.com with all inquiries, questions, or concerns.